Thou art the sky and thou art the nest as well – is a poem in the Rabindranath Tagore’s poetry collection “Song Offerings” or “Gitanjali” in Bengali. Geetanjali is a remarkable book of verses composed by Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941), which earned him the Nobel Prize.
It was written originally in Bangla during 1908-1909 and later its English version in prose was published under the title ‘The Song offerings’. It was the first English anthology of Rabindranath published in late 1912 by the India Society of London. On 10 November of the following Year (1913), Rabindranath Tagore was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for the book Geetanjali.
This recognition introduced Rabindranath worldwide as an exponent of unique poetic talent. Famous Irish poet W B Yeats wrote the introduction of the English version of Geetanjali. Besides, a pencil sketch of the poet drawn by Rothenstain was published in the book. Rabindranath dedicated Geetanjali to WB Yeats.
Serial Number of the song : 67
Thou art the sky and thou art the nest as well.
THOU ART THE sky and thou art the nest as well.
0 thou beautiful, there in the nest it is thy love that encloses the soul with colours and sounds and odours.
There comes the morning with the golden basket in her right hand bearing the wreath of beauty, silently to crown the earth.
And there comes the evening over the lonely meadows deserted by herds, through trackless paths, carrying cool draughts of peace in her golden pitcher from the western ocean of rest.
But there, where spreads the infinite sky for the soul to take her flight in, reigns the stainless white radiance.
There is no day nor night, nor form nor colour, and never, never a word.
- In one salutation to thee, my God | Song Offerings, Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore
- I boasted among men that I had known you | Song Offerings, Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore
- Ever in my life have I sought thee with my songs | Song Offerings, Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore
- I dive down into the depth of the ocean of forms | Song Offerings, Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore
- When I give up the helm | Song Offerings, Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore